"It is not the strongest species which survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
Bird List and other species seen 2004
Bird List and other species seen 2005
- Tuff cones, Heartbreaker Hill and Pinnacle Rock
- beach, sea lions, Hood Mockingbird, Large Cactus Finch, (conirostris subspecies), Española Lava Lizard.
- Nazca Booby, Waved Albatross, Marine Iguana (venutissimus subspecies)
- Marine Iguana (cristatus subspecies), Galápagos Sealions.
- Greater Flamingoes, Floreana Lava Lizard, Greater Painted Locust, Post Office Bay.
- Black Beach, Puerto Velasco Ibarra, The Wittmer Place, Medium Tree Finch.
- Opuntia helleri, Manta Ray (dead)
- Red-footed Booby, Nazca Booby, Great Frigatebird, Galápagos Mockingbird (bauri subspecies), Swallow-tailed Gull, Short-eared Owl (galapagoensis subspecies)
- adult females, small downy chick, wing gloss close-up
- Obligate sibling murder (siblicide) in Nazca Booby chicks
- Red-tailed Booby stealing stick from nest of Great Frigatebird
- photo of galapagoensis race looking at sky (watching petrels?)
- immature bird and apparently abandoned egg.
- brackish lagoon, lava cactus, pahoehoe lava
- 'wet landing', coral, Flightless cormorant, Cricket, Land Iguana hole, Ground Finch pair, Galápagos Cotton, Hairy Morning Glory
- Giant Tortoise breeding centre, Galápagos Flycatcher (parvulus subspecies), skeleton, Marine Iguana portrait, Lava Gull, Municipal Dock, Puerto Ayora harbour.
- Los Gemellos, Giant Tortoise (porteri subspecies)
- Beach with sea-lions, injured young sea-lion, Galapagos Mockingbird, Santa Fé Land Iguana, Dick & Monica.
- growth and adaptive radiation.
- Galápagos Fur Seal, Galapagos Sea Lion, Sallylightfoot Crab eating fish, juvenile & adult Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Galápagos Lava Lizard.
- Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Chatham Mockingbird, Yellow Warbler, Medium Ground Finch, Galápagos Sea Lions.
- Blue-footed Boobies, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Land Iguana, Lava Lizard.
- Brown Pelican, Blue-footed Booby, Flightless Cormorant
- Smooth-billed Ani, Hood Mockingbird, Magnificent Frigatebird
- Galápagos Penguin, Lava Heron, Medium Ground Finch, Warbler Finch
- Swallow-tailed Gull, Galápagos Flycatcher, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.
- Red-footed Booby, Nazca Booby, Great Frigatebird, Galápagos Mockingbird (bauri subspecies), Swallow-tailed Gull, Short-eared Owl (Galápagos subspecies)
- Magnificent Frigatebird in flight, and a Feeding Frenzy of Blue-footed Boobies
- both the Galápagos Land Iguana and the Santa Fé Land Iguana
- Very young ones with adults, swimming, eating algae
- White-tipped Shark, Sallylightfoot Crab, Galápagos Cotton seedhead.
in water and on the beach at Gardner Bay, Española, and a photo of one swimming with me while I was snorkelling!
- Bottle-nosed and Common Dolphins
- Photos of my shipmates on, and the crew of, the Cachalote.
- Photos of people on the Beluga trip, often sleeping!
- The goodbye dinner, with cake and crew! also showing the layout of the main deck 'below'.
- The Travelling Naturalist dinner at La Ronda, a restaurant in Quito.
Text and images © Liz Leyden, 2008
Many of my best Galapagos images are available, royalty-free, at: