Feeling that we need some flowers, even if they only last for this year, I got some Snapdragons (Antirrhinum), on the grounds that I could remember seeing bees crawling in and out of them when I was a child. And while they were sitting in their pots on the patio waiting for me to prepare the ground, we did indeed see White-tailed Bumble Bees crawing inand out of the ‘dragons’ mouths’. So far, so good.
So on 25th July, I planted them out, looking a bit like a row of drunken soldiers:
Note that Snapdragons are considered so easy to grow (and so much fun) that they’re on the RHS’s Kids section, though that’s for growing from seed.
Hmmmm, that’s as may be; but during the week we had some heavy rain – not a tornado or hurricane, just a few hours of heavy summer rain, and the snapdragon flowers mostly dropped. And a few days after that, after more rain last night, almost all the flowers have gone.
So a bit sad to note my first flower trial was a total failure.
Trying to stay positive, I’ve planted out some Violas I got at B&Q this week. They look a bit too formal for my liking, and a bit lost at the moment, as they’re the small ones, not big pansies. Still, with any luck, they’ll spread out.